Tuesday, June 8, 2010

not mere mortals


Why have I heard this very specific quote twice in the past month?  Divine echos- something said or seen multiple times exactly when you needed it, the Spirit relating to you exactly where you are.  How hard it has been for me to love, lately!  ...how to hold another accountable, but, yet not get entrapped myself...  We are all sinners, leaning to the light or running away from it, becoming, as C.S. Lewis would say, an "immortal horror or everlasting splendour"...

"All day long we are in some degree helping each other to one or the other of these destinations. It is in light of these overwhelming possibilities it is with awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never met a mere mortal, Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations, these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit-- 
immortal horrors or ever lasting splendours...

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but because, by it, I see everything else."     
from The Weight of Glory, by C.S. Lewis


Posted by Picasa