Tuesday, August 17, 2010

9*1*1

 They take so much energy-
suck the life, it seems, of me;
me, who wants to do my own will...
dead to the joys at the end of my fingertips,
the blessed potential in each of these, if only-
I could see.
How to make myself stop, put aside my whims,
open blinded eyes and SEE?

 Today, a little girl at the park, in the hands of her auntie, went limp.
Many images play in the head while waiting for paramedics...
the mother who called her daughter a "fool",
the father who didn't want to push his 2-year-old son on the swing,
("play by yourself, or we'll leave"),
the mommy who would rather leave her child to drink with a girlfriend.

This auntie stuck out to me because she smiled at the child
and made the tire swing twirl and rise, sending gleeful shouts of joy.

She is better now, but I am changed.


I drive my three home, bathe them alone, sing & pray & tuck into bed.
I want to bring the shouts of joy,
I want to love them as I am loved by my playful Father,
who delights in me even though I stumble in this parent walk,
who forgives and teaches me gently (sometimes sternly)
and wants the Best for me.

Teach me to be what I need to be for these three,
my precious ones that help me to grow and change for the better.